- Blogger Settings - which do you select and what do they mean?
- About Me - Using this page to your advantage and advanced tips.
- Finding a focus - what are you going to write about? Why?
- Posting How-To's - maximizing the impact of your posts.
- Creating a blogging schedule - figure out how much time you're willing to devote.
- Design and Layout - Google ads? Affiliate Programs? Links to other sites and blogs?
- Building a content base - Spend 2 or 3 months posting regularly to create a robust blog.
- Reaching out - getting other bloggers to start reading your blog.
- Feedburner or Feedblitz - setting up an email subscription to your posts.
- Submitting to Blog Directories - help Internet users find you.
- BONUS - advanced tips for hacking your blog.
I bet you're wondering what makes me qualified to write about these topics. I run this blog, Wowimo, as an experiment to see what draws traffic, how people interact with blogs, and what makes them return. I dabble with advertising and affiliate programs to learn what, if anything, is worth your time as a blogger.
As part of my business, I also teach other people how to use a blog to promote themselves and their work. One of my most successful students is Dr. William Emener, a professor and counseling professional, with over 20 books authored or in print, and now, a burgeoning online presence. His blog, Dr. Bill's Harley Wisdom, is a great example of a focused, well designed, and well-maintained blog.
While I can't guarantee you'll be on CNN discussing the future of blogging and online media in the next year, following the steps in the Blogger tutorial will help you find your niche and bring traffic to your blog. Assuming you have something people want to read about and discuss, these tips will ensure you start your blogging off right.